Monday, May 15, 2006

It's THAT time of year again

Every year, sometime about the beginning of summer, the random Florida death machine cranks up. It's generally sharks. On occasion, it's actually been a microbe. This year, however, it's GATORS! EEK!

Okay, I'm sorry for the people who've lost their loved ones. I genuinely am. However, out of the (likely - just a guess!) hundreds of deaths each week in this state, we're going to concentrate on the three that were freak events. Gators typically do NOT touch humans, and they won't attack unless they or their eggs are threatened. Right now is when Gators have eggs in the nest.

We'll not even get into the heavy issues facing this country or this state. Frankly, there are so many things wrong on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin. Just this morning, I watched a dude flip his SUV because he was driving about 50-60 miles per hour through a PARKING LOT. That, to me, is much more worthy of the press than the Gator Deaths.

At the end, however, it's just not sexy to warn folks to keep sane speed in a parking lot (where, I might add, I would have been WALKING just a few seconds later - I'm CERTAIN the truck would have won had it hit me.... even more dangerous than a Gator, even!). It sells better to walk about gators and body parts and other things like that.

So be warned! The Gators have had it with their second billing to sharks, and they're on the attack! If you find yourself being chased by a Gator, remember to run in a zig-zag, and away from whatever body of water you're near.

6 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

Yipes! I'm glad you weren't hit by that insane SUV.

8:49 PM, May 15, 2006  
Blogger Courtney said...

Thanks for the sage advice. We go hiking occasionally at a park that has a sign reading, "If you love your dogs, don't let them off the leash." Gator egg season.

1:10 PM, May 16, 2006  
Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

Sorry it's somewhat tongue-in-cheek, Quin, but I do mean what I say with regard to the buggers. I grew up in S. Georgia, and I live in Florida for now, and my family has property on the SC coast where there are tons of gators. You WILL lose a small dog if it's left to run free amongst the gators. You CAN lose a child. You can even be killed.

Just stay away from them. Don't feed them. Don't throw things at them. Be wary of mounds of dirt and muck a little away from the water. If you see baby gators, LEAVE. If one comes at you and gets close enough, smack it on the nose (it will run away). But make sure you run away, zig-zag. I've escaped from a gator this way. They fall over.

1:31 PM, May 16, 2006  
Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

And double-sorry for the misspelling of your name. Bah. I always think 'Snyder'!

1:39 PM, May 16, 2006  
Blogger Courtney said...

No need to apologize for thinking Snyder. Just remember: "It's not my hair's fault we're losing." Best ESPN recap EVER.

And yes, we do NOT go hiking there during egg season. Common sense is an important trait.

5:52 PM, May 17, 2006  
Blogger art-sweet said...

Ha! I was complaining about my stupid little rust belt city to some folks who have lived here forever and don't know how much better it could be.

They said: well thank god we don't live in Florida with all those aligators.

Hope your cervix stays a-okay!

2:38 PM, May 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home