Friday, August 25, 2006

Presto Pesto!

My neighbor across the street has turned her yard into a vegetable garden of sorts, growing beans, tomatoes, squashes, gourds, and, among other herbs, basil. She is most excellent at growing basil, and yesterday, graced me with a grocery bag full of the stuff.

So I pulled the leaves off, measured 12 cups and set aside the rest which I'll dry in the oven, except a few bits I'm keeping for some tomatoes. I added a cup and a half of olive oil, a cup of pine nuts, a cup of blended parmeggian, peccario, and romano, 6 large cloves of garlic, and three pinches of salt (tripling my recipe). Yum! Of course, what does one do with this much pesto? I'll definitely pack some back to my neighbor, and send some off with my sister. I'll take some to the people hosting us for tomorrow afternoon. But really - I do have 6 cups (and a serving is 1/4 cup - that's 24 servings I have!). Maybe it freezes?

Related question (associated with the grating of cheeses) - is something still vegetarian if it contains human blood? As I continue to slice and dice myself, this question is coming closer and closer to being a real consideration. Sigh. I grated my knuckle on my left ring finger, along with the cheese. Owie!

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

Pesto actually freezes rather well. If you have any extra icecube trays fill them up with pesto and you have single serving sizes.

5:05 PM, August 26, 2006  
Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

Thanks Liz - I've added ice cube tray to my shopping list (I use them for broth as well, and I cannot find mine!). I'm glad to know it freezes - this pesto is very yummy stuff.

9:21 PM, August 26, 2006  
Blogger Mrs. Coulter said...

I have also successfully frozen pesto (when a neighbor bestowed a large amount of home grown basil on me).

11:27 PM, August 26, 2006  
Blogger Crazy said...

Ooooohhhh.... I HATE it when I grate my fingers. (It happens a lot to me because I am a very bad cook.) It's more than just the pain - it's like fingernails on a blackboard.

9:51 PM, August 29, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

My freind likes to be called presto.

7:35 PM, September 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home