Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Dear Mr. Man at my (FORMER) company's division here in Atlanta,

Mr. Man,

Having known you for the better part of five years, I was under the impression that we had something of a friendly working relationship. I've pulled your group out of the mud on more than one occasion, and I've collaborated with them to pull off some pretty great feats.

So, I was excited to see a position open right within your group. One that had my very skills and talents in mind. One that seemed to be an ideal move for me, and one that would require very little training for me to perform extremely well.

I came in and I interviewed. Then I returned to meet your staff. At that time, I felt very good about everything. I dutifully fired of thank-yous to everyone, appreciative of their time.

And I began to wait. I knew of the turmoil in your larger ornganization, and I knew that you would be a little longer in getting back to me. I dutifully followed up weekly, and you likewise responded, giving me one reason or another that no decision had been finalized.

When finally you told me that you had to circle back with your team to make a final decision, and that you'd be in touch 'early next week', I was glad, at least to know that this saga would be over. Because, even if I didn't get the position, you'd call and give me some feedback, right?

Oh hell no. That 'early next week' should have been 'early LAST week' by now. And I haven't heard word 1 from you. You know, I feel pretty shitty as it is right now - I'm sitting here with a family SOLELY dependant upon my ability to find a job, and I was under the impression that I HAD A JOB.

But even worse is the fact that you cut me off, entirely. I worked my ass off to get in a position to come see you. I'd say I invested at least 8 hours in meeting with your people to try and get this job. At the end of it all, however, you can't even pick up the phone and call me to let me down gently?

Here's what makes me sick about the whole thing. I've let this affect my self confidence. I've let it put me into a spot that I left long, long ago. I remember what it was like, sitting around, waiting on HIM to call after we'd had a couple of wild nights together. You see, I was one of those sad party girls who thought that mugging down with a guy in a bar meant he was interested. And so I spent a lot of time waiting on guys to call, to no avail.

And here I am again... Waiting on a guy to call. To no avail.

And I feel like such shit. I just wanted to put it out there that I do, really do, feel like another rejected gal on Monday morning.

Regards,
DMD

As an aside - I have begun to go back to the mantra of my youth. Nobody likes me. Everybody hates me. I might as well go eat worms.

Now, however, I ask "How many points do worms have?"

5 Comments:

Blogger KLee said...

All I can say is it's their great loss. And that he must have some terrible business practices to let an interested candidate swing in the wind for so long. Is there any way that you can send off a letter, detailing your attempts to try and keep in the loop on this one to Human Resources at the company? Or would that be too much of an aggressive move?

Is there anything else out there that's grabbing your attention? I know there has to be another job that you would excel in. Don't let this one jerk color your opinion of yourself. I know it's hard to deal with rejection, but it may not be rejection -- it may just be incompetence on his part. It's frustrating, no matter how you slice it. Sorry. I hope it gets better.

5:12 PM, August 29, 2006  
Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

Oh KLee - there's lots out there, and lots of opportunity. I had to get that off my chest, you know? I'll ensure that those who can make a difference do know how this went down - I've got some pretty powerful friends at the Home Office, who won't take kindly to this kind of treatment toward me.

And who knows - there could be some other issue (actually, from what I've heard, likely), but it's still annoying to have someone completely cut off all communication like that.

Sighs. Back to playing with my little girl. Smiles!

6:21 PM, August 29, 2006  
Blogger Rev Dr Mom said...

I continue to be amazed by how unprofessional people who are doing hiring can be...it was that way in academia, it is that way in the church, and apparently it is that way in the world of business,too. I know it's hard, but try not to take it personally. Some people are just rude and thoughtless, and lack the guts to do the right thing (like call you no matter what the outcome.)

9:26 PM, August 29, 2006  
Blogger KLee said...

No, no -- kvetch all you want! I was thinking that you are in the right here! It should not take an act of Congress for these people just to let you know whether you have the job or not. You have every right to be upset, and I'm sorry if it came out sounding like I was saying you hadn't done enough.

I was trying to convey that I think you did WAY more than most people would have, despite past associations with the company, and that they should have to come after YOU, not the other way around.

4:20 PM, September 01, 2006  
Blogger Courtney said...

Take comfort, DMD. I am in your shoes and hiking that road along with you. I guess I found out I didn't get the academic position b/c the semester just started and they haven't called yet to tell me one way or another! Oh, well.

4:59 PM, September 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home