Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Should we be concerned?

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up Miss Baby, and I received another child's daily sheet. This other child's name begins and ends with the same letters as Miss Baby's name, so I didn't worry too much. Last week, it happened again - except it was for a different child whose name begins and ends with the same letters as Miss Baby's name. Yeah, there are three little girls in Miss Baby's class at the Baby School with names that begin with the same letter as hers, and end with the same letter as hers.

I haven't thought too much about them screwing up the daily log sheets up until this point. About an hour ago, I got a call from the Baby School stating that Miss Baby was throwing up and had a 101.5 degree fever. They've had to change her clothes and she just feels so badly.

Holly hell. I have a major presentation at 1:30 - I can't miss it. Mr. Mac agreed to go get Miss Baby and keep her at home for the day, and he'd work from there. So he leaves his office, which is about 10 miles from the Baby School. He treks up there. He goes in to get Miss Baby, who is VERY happily playing away. In the outfit we put her in this morning. Not sick - AT ALL.

He asks the teacher why she had us called to pick up Miss Baby, since she didn't look at all ill to him. She then realized that she had the WRONG parents called! It was one of the other girls with the same first letter/last letter name.

So they had to call this other baby's mom now. And that baby had been sitting at the school, sick, for a good hour by this point.

My thoughts: (1) Clearly, they do not know my child's name; OR, they may know my child's name, they don't pay enough attention to figure out which stuff belongs to my child and the name (exact name) of the child who's sick. (2) The staff at the front desk don't take the time to ensure they are calling the right parent to pick up a sick kid. (3) Miss Baby (and her friend who's 4 days older than Miss Baby) are not very fond of the primary caretaker in the room. You know, the one who can't figure out Miss Baby's name. Are they calling her by the wrong name? Are they calling her by any name at all? What the deuce is going on there?

Needless to say, I'm having a Big. Long. Talk. with the Baby School Director on my lunch hour tomorrow. I've already scheduled it. I'm hopping in the sexy minivan and treking the 10 miles to the Baby School (in Tampa traffic!) to sit and talk to her as long as I need to talk to her to figure out what to do with my child. And then coming back to work.

I called a couple of daycare centers in the area. There is no room. We will only be here for another few months. That said, a few months in an environment where the people don't even know her name could be bad - really bad - for Miss Baby. It's not fair to her.

What to do. I'm so torn because I just can't bear that she's not getting the kind of care to which she was accustomed. They took AMAZING care of her as an infant, and I can't understand why this doesn't translate into the same level of care for a toddler. She's so sweet and caring, and to not even learn her name just galls me.

Ah well - we'll see how my talk with Ms Head of Baby School goes tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzi said...

Big long talk heck! It's time to get your baby out of there. That's the most horrible thing I've ever heard next to actual child abuse.

How would they even know if your child was missing?! What kind of place is this?

I've ran a daycare in my home for 18 years. Anyone can say anything they want about home care not being as organized as a center, but I've never mixed up my daycare children!

What if they gave another child's medicine to your child? What if they feed another child twice and don't feed yours at all?

This is oh so not good.

Suzi

8:20 PM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

Suzi, you're right. Which is just the conversation I had with the Baby School Director. I really do appreciate your point about the wrong medicines, as my little one does have RADS, and she occasionally takes a Nebulizer Treatment at school if she's wheezing badly.

In speaking with the director, I mentioned to her all of my concerns. In particular, I mentioned about the difference in care from the "Baby Room" to the "Toddler Room". Miss Baby was so well cared for by Miss R and Miss C. In fact, when I take her to school, or when I pick her up, if she sees either one of those two, she runs over to give her a hug. She STILL loves them. And Miss F, formerly of the toddler room, well - Miss Baby just runs away from her. She HATES Miss F.

Turns out, Miss F is no longer with the Baby School. Last straw was yesterday.

I'm fairly comfortable with the corrective action that has been put into place for all parties involved in the incident in question. However, I won't be leaving her there to be given medicines - I'll be going on my lunch hour to take care of that myself.

But, they're on notice, and Miss Baby is now on a wait list. Unfortunately, there is no anticipation that a spot will open for her anytime soon. So I have to make do with what I have.

2:09 PM, February 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home