Saturday, June 02, 2007

Why I Love to Entertain

I got an e-mail from a friend in the middle of last week. I'd dropped her a note to see how she was, and to touch base on a few things our big girls are doing together this summer. She writes back to tell me that she's so sorry she's been out of touch, but she just got back from Greece, where she had to fly to get her father and mother home. Her father just had a heart attack on the way there, had developed pneumonia and subsequently had a stroke once he got back here to the States. Amusing side story is that there actually were people in the hospital that thought he was the Atlanta TB Lawyer.

So, I said, fine - you bring your kids to my house, and another friend and I will take care of them while you and your husband take some time to relax. She said, no, if they come, I get to come to, and we'll all relax - I need it. I was up for anything, as Mr. Mac has gone to FL to attend Miss M's dance recitals (yes TWO!) and bring her back for the summer. So I'm alone for the weekend.

Folks, even without my husband, I had such a nice evening tonight. Nothing fancy - burgers and dogs, beans, potato salad, fruit and brownies. I had lemonade and water to drink. Our collection of 5 kids ran themselves into the ground. Everyone helped clean up, and we all ended the evening full, relaxed and happy. And my friend, as she was leaving said, with tears in her eyes, you can't imagine how much this means to me. And I said, it goes the same here too.

The world is big and frightening. I'm not a person with a ton of friends - I tend to keep a few close pals, and then I have a wide network of acquaintances. So it's nice to know that sometimes I can brighten the day of a friend, even if it's a horrible dark time. And even better, she can brighten my day with a simple smile. And best of all, Little Miss S is sleeping like the sweet angel she can be. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home