Thursday, May 17, 2007

Some days I just get tired of being a woman

I had a job interview yesterday. It went extremely well, and I had a great feeling about everything. UNTIL.... it came out that I'm pregnant.

Seems that's cause for concern for them.

I'm so sick and tired of being asked illegal questions, and having illegal conclusions made, about my candidacy for a position simply because I am female and I suffer from a condition that only affects women. It's appalling, and it's also illegal, but almost impossible to prove.

Right now, they claim they still want to check up with my references, etc. But I'm just so afraid that I've missed out, and because of something that isn't allowed to be held against me. It's a competitive world, and I know that pretext can be found to justify their decision. But damn. It makes me mad.

6 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

It's so true. I don't think I've ever had an interview that didn't ask something illegal. In fact, I was probably a bit purposefully deceptive in my last interview, admitting to a husband and leaving it at that. (And I got the job.)

6:22 PM, May 17, 2007  
Blogger ccw said...

I don't blame you for being mad.

Then again, we all know that females in such a delicate condition cannot be counted on to come to work every day and make rational choices.

How absolutely maddening! I'm sorry.

9:36 AM, May 18, 2007  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Gahhh!!!!

I HATE that. Big hugs.

10:21 PM, May 18, 2007  
Blogger KLee said...

It is SO disappointing. Nevermind the illegality of it, which you covered.

Like you couldn't do the job perfectly well while pregnant. Jerks.

3:32 PM, May 20, 2007  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

They don't have that problem over in labor law.

Kidding. Best of luck with those dang employers.

5:45 PM, May 20, 2007  
Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

This story is about to get crazy. I'm not ready to say anything else yet, but hopefully by next week, I'll have some resolution.

8:11 AM, May 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home