Thursday, February 02, 2006

Holy CRAP!

It's only 10:45 in the morning. I feel like I've been in this office for a good 10 hours. I still can't believe this.

I was on the phone with my coworker. She had another call come through, so she took it. Then I heard what I thought was her laughing. Then, one of my staff calls me to come over there - my colleague is freaking out.

Huh?

So I go over and she's in hysterics. I get her pulled away from the public area into a private room. She finally gasps out what happened.

Her son, who's 21, has a daughter with a girl who's 19. They are not together. This girl works at a club called "Calendar Girls." I think you can infer the type establishment. Last night, some freak pulled a gun in the parking lot, and murdered this girl. Right there in the parking lot. Shot her in the neck.

I swear, it's straight out of Law & Order.

I've spent the morning on the phone with various Sheriff's offices. I've talked to any number of this woman's relatives. My biggest concern right now is that she and her son were in the process of getting his name onto the baby's birth certificate. They just got the results of the paternity test back, and he's the father. I've been pushing her to get with an attorney and get visitation and custody worked out.

Now she has to get everything worked out.

And deal with raising a granddaughter (who's almost 1) who will never know her mother. Yeah, my friend will raise this girl.

It's really surreal to me that this has happened, and I'm connected to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home