Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Wrapping Presents and the meaning of "Touchdown"

Last night, as I sat wrapping my 50th through 53d presents for this Christmas Season, I reflected on the year and what it's brought into and taken away from my life. In all, it's been an average year. However, when you look at it in terms of standard deviation.... Ah, the numbers geek comes out in me again. More on that later, I guess.

I sat wrapping the last present I will give to my boss with a fake smile across my face. I pride myself in the gifts I give - I try very hard to ensure that what I give to the person is something that person will enjoy, regardless of my feelings about that person. I hope that in the future, I will be able to give genuinely to my boss, and not some token of the event at hand. At the same time, she genuinely appreciates what I get for her - and she knows it's something I put together, even if the entire staff's name is on it.

As I sat wrapping these gifts on the kitchen floor, Miss Baby sat in her highchair, smearing a concoction of mac 'n cheese and bananas all over herself (and, thankfully, scooping some into her mouth). She then figured out that banana bits make excellent projectiles. She tossed one and said "oh-oohhh". I got one back for her, and she stuck her hands in the air and said "Tah-daaahhhhhnnn".** She thinks this is what one does when one is happy and pleased with oneself.

I thought about the presents I've bought. See, a lot of people will be getting presents from me, under the guise of it being from someone else. My mother in law can thank my sister in law for the green sweater set I got for her. My mom can thank my Dad for the lovely pieces in her Stainless. My daughter can thank my sister for the adorable Piano. Miss M and Miss Baby can thank their grandma for the Chemistry Set and Little People Tea Set. I can thank my husband for a few things, even!

And that makes me happy - I like it that I can go out and take care of those kinds of things for people. My sister in law lives in New Orleans and works in Gulfport, MS. She's in a major dispute with her landlord. She has no time. My sister just bought a new house and is trying to sell hers, while having a toddler on-hand. My mother in law is recently widowed - she just can't deal with a lot of this stuff right now. My husband and father... well, they're boys. What do you expect?

So today, my mother in law arrives and it begins. My sister in law flies in Friday night (we'll have her a birthday cake when she arrives - her birthday was Monday). We pack up on Saturday, and Sunday late morning, we leave, get Miss M at noon, and drive the SERIOUSLY LOADED Minivan to the farm for Christmas. My mom is so damn excited to have 13 people plus two infants around her dining room table, she doesn't know what to do with herself.

So, I smile and think to myself - "Touchdown!" as I stick my arms up in the air. I've done good, and I'm happy, and life will be okay.

---
** See, my husband and I are sports nuts, and so we've taught her to stick her hands in the air and say "touchdown". She said it A LOT during the Texas Game on Saturday (even though it was basketball). I love my kid!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home