Thursday, December 01, 2005

LET'S GO DUKE!

Last night was sweet. Duke took one away from Indiana IN ASSEMBLY HALL before screaming, painted fans of their own, as well as Indiana glitterati. Schweet! Old time hoops like it should be. Can someone tell me why we don't have more of these kinds of games on our schedule? We should tour around the "hostile" arenas of the nation, toughening our guys up for the long road in March. But, I digress.

In the 2002 NCAA Tournament, Indiana beat Duke in the regionals of the NCAA. I think it was the Sweet 16 game. Anyway, after the game, Mike Davis (whose team had just physically mauled and man-handled Duke) talked about how "God wanted IU to beat Duke".

Bull hocky.

I'm sorry, but I don't think God really cares who wins a damn game, Mike Davis. To all you prayers who thank God for that catch - I don't think that's his interest. What He cares about is that you use the talents he gave you to suit His will as best you can.

I'm a Christian. I have my own views, but they comport well with the Bible (though not well with what James Dobson/Pat Robertson/Shrubya try to tell me the Bible says). I acknowledge that I have faults and that I fall well short of the ideal set forth by Jesus. One thing I detest, however, is when people use the Bible, or God/Jesus, or any religion at all to somehow prop up his or her political/personal/moral views.

But the subset of that which I especially detest is when people use God to somehow prop up their SPORTS TEAM. Yeah, their SPORTS TEAM.

Please.

So, Mike Davis, did God send you a message last night? Yeah, I thought so - it's only about God when you win.

At any rate, I'm pleased that, in the secular world, my Blue Devils are back on top. I know we'll stumble and fall at some point this year, but I'm so glad (at least for today) it wasn't to Mike Davis (gaggg!) and Indiana.

So, Let's Go DUKE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home