Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Working Mom

This column on working moms and salary and discrimination. I cannot emphasize enough some of the truths here. The discrimination is palpable, and it's real. And it ticks me off.

I do know that when I'm interviewing that, unless expressly asked, I will not volunteer that I have children. I really can't say that it's any of my potential employer's business. Not that I'd lie, but still - it's really appalling that working moms have to fight so hard, and withhold information, to get any level of respect.

When I came back from maternity leave, I had a discussion with my boss about how my workload was going to be reduced since I had "too much on my plate". I looked at her squarely, and I asked her "Do you really want to have this conversation, with me of all people?" I guess, when I said that, she realized that I was basically warning her that I'd sue the crap out of her if she tried to limit me because of my kids. However, 7+ months later, I can certainly say that I've busted my rear and proven myself repeatedly. But then I have her telling me that she won't be flexible with my time any more (she never has been), and she knows how distracted I get "these days". See, she took 7 years away from the work force to get her kids into school before she went back.

Anyway, in looking at the article above and in thinking about it, it really does smack of horrific discrimination. And, honestly, it's lawful as near I can tell. There's the PDA which prevents discriminating against pregnant women; there's the Civil Rights Act protecting against discriminating against women in general. However, there's no "MDA" - Mommies Discrimination Act. And there should be.

I really don't understand how people can look at what happens all around us and argue that women are afforded equal treatment. We really aren't, and that's being highlighted by Alito's nomination (a real smack in the face!). And it makes me want to cry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home