Thursday, February 08, 2007

So what do you want to be when you grow up?

I'm lucky. See, I'm getting a do-over at life. It's embarrassing to me to admit it, but yeah, that's what's happening. It's not a complete do-over. I start at the bottom of a pretty steep hill, and I've got to push myself up it. But at the same time, I am fortunate to have the chance to walk away from being a Corporate Drone and do something that has more meaning for me.

When I was a kid, I had a single ambition in life. I wanted to be a vet - a large animal vet. Particularly interesting in light of this article from Monday's New York Times. It talks about the lack of large animal vets, especially in the more isolated farming communities. No kidding - this is exactly what I wanted to do: be an old fashioned, James Herriot style 'farm vet'.

Of course, my do-over isn't so expansive that I get to go back to vet school. I don't really even want that. I think it's sad, really, that a child is pushed from so young an age to say what s/he wants to be when s/he grows up. My husband wanted to be an astronaut. Maybe I'd be in a bizarre love triangle today if his eyes didn't go all wonky in the third grade.

So what is my 'do-over'? Well, it's me taking stock of what I have to my name (specifically my multiple degrees) and where I can put those things to best use for me, my family, and my community. I know that step 1 is passing the bar examination, not an easy feat for those without a 9-year lapse between school and the sitting date. Beyond that, I don't know what the steps will be.

I plan to do a ton of exploring of fields. I'm not looking to join a big midtown firm. I am, however, looking to practice law that has some direct (positive) impact on people's lives. Any thoughts out there?

5 Comments:

Blogger ccw said...

I also wanted to be a vet. Small animal, of course, so that I could treat cats.

I'm happy for you that you are getting a chance to find something that you love.

3:25 PM, February 09, 2007  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Ideas for making a positive impact using a law degree and an admission to your state bar:

Helping abused women get protective orders, divorces, and custody of their children.

Helping kids.

Habeas Corpus petitions.

Helping folks who want to get divorced, but don't want to get all medieval on their exes a$ses have a pleasant divorce.

Mediation.

Moot court.

Judge.


And re: sitting for the bar exam long after law school is over, my husband says it's easier the second time around as long as you can devote some time to refresher study.

6:24 PM, February 11, 2007  
Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

I'm glad to hear your husband's perspective, Liz, because I'm nervous as heck about this. I'm planning to work part time doing this-and-that for a firm near my home. Other than that, I will be studying. Starting like now.

As for your suggestions.... Yeah, I'm really thinking of something along the lines of a personal-oriented practice that involves trusts and estates, family law (but not custody), and possibly some adoption cases and things like that. I want to stay far, far away from litigation. There are two clinics here at Emory that I know I could volunteer to help, which would also make me feel good.

I'm just mainly scared about the whole thing. You know - what if they won't let me take the test? What if I fail? All that stuff. Silly mostly, but still it's out there.

12:29 PM, February 13, 2007  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

We have a picture of my husband studying for the bar exam while holding a 5-day-old Muffin Man. He took the exam when MM was 3 weeks old, ten years after his first exam.

8:16 PM, February 14, 2007  
Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

Liz - that is just cool. Awesome! :)

11:48 PM, February 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home