Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Law School Madness

See, here's the deal. We live in Tampa right now. I hate this place. I really do - between the people, traffic and weather, it's plain horrific. I'm saying this at the BEST weather time of the year, incidentally. When we started down this whole law school journey for my husband, we thought he'd go to Stetson part time and we'd stay in our house and that would be that.

He then took the LSAT and made in the 98.5%-ile. Well, zoiks - maybe we should look at *real* schools. He's been accepted everywhere he applied in Florida, and he has a partial scholarship to Mercer (a low tier 2 school in GA). We are still waiting on UGA, Emory and Ga. State.

The Georgia bias makes sense when you realize I'm from there, and I like there, and I wanna go home (whiney voice required). I wanna go home badly. I haven't taken to Tampa - I have no close friends outside my husband here. Nobody I could call on to go get my kid from daycare if I needed it. I've been here almost 5 years - I've tried to make friends. In GA (Atlanta is the likely locale), I can name more than a handful of people whom I could call. And my mom is just 3 hrs away.

Case in point - on December 6 in the late afternoon (after 4 pm), I was informed that I had to go on a daytrip to DC. If Mr. Mac had been away at school, and I had been here by myself, who would have taken care of Miss Baby? My mom gets in her car and comes here at the last minute? At 60? 6+ hrs on the road? Right.

Also, I may can transfer my employment to Atlanta - my company has a large division there, and I've got good connections inside.

But now we're talking about a FREE RIDE to school. It's what is affectionately known as a "Third Tier Toilet", but it's VERY well-respected here in Tampa. All of the major firms hire kids from there every year.

It's certainly a dilemma. I haven't even thrown in all of the hootie related to my stepdaugter and what we would do to take care of her.

So we sit and kvetch and wait and try to be patient. But it's getting old. Especially this part: "Your application for admission has entered the committee review process. This process usually takes several weeks." Damn you UGA Law School!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home