Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Career thoughts

I've been putting a lot of thought into where my career has led me thus far, and where I will go from here. I attended law school after graduating with my MBA and no clue as to what I wanted out of life. Law school proved to me that I didn't want to be a litigator. At that point in time, I didn't want to be a lawyer of any kind - the experience scarred me that badly.

So, I opted for the world of consulting, and eventually landed at AOL and transferred internally within Time Warner to my current position in the Purchasing Department here in Time Inc.

And I'm miserable.

I don't know if it's totally my dislike of being a corporate hack - I think that it's due to my dislike of being this kind of corporate hack. I work for a micro-manager (to put it mildly) who is a complete perfectionist and also one of the worst communicators you've ever met. My department's morale is, at best, poor. We have low turnover because people don't want to leave this company (our benefits are awesome), and they can't get hired into other departments interally. So, we suffer together.

At the same time, is it really going to be different at another large corporation?

I don't know. I'm not willing to find out right now because I've got less than three months until my bonus is paid. That's usually a minimum of 10% of my salary, so it's not something to walk away from. But come January.....

I've been so lazy about my job search, which has been on and off since I got here to Tampa. It's really starting to drag me down. I have got to become more motivated because continuing in this misery isn't good for me, Mr. Mac, Miss M or Miss Baby. It's not fair to anyone, really, and not even my miserable boss.

So I hope that after the new year (Specifically after my bonus), I can pull it all together and finally make the great escape. That would be very nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home