Friday, March 31, 2006

The Saga of the Burgled Minivan Continues...

On March 16, the Sexy Minivan was burgled. I called the insurance company and they began working on my claim. I explained to them that the car was not damaged, in any way, and that the console in the back had been removed so cleanly, that it was apparent the thieves knew just what they were doing.

Then Mr. Mac and I promptly went out of town for a few days.

Upon my return, I took the Sexy Minivan to my insurance company's claim center. They instructed me to do this, so that they could complete the repairs and I would be on my way. At that time, they inspected the car, and they said yeah... we'll get it fixed.

About two hours later, I get a call from my buddy John at the insurance company. He tells me that they can't fix the minivan. The part they need is something that they don't keep in stock, and I have to take the minivan to a dealer.

But I can't do that until they give me permission. Because - GET THIS - they have to pass this claim through their fraud and investigations unit. See, because of the type of damage (none) and the value of the item removed (high), they think it's possible that I (or maybe a teenager in my home?) may have taken it out myself and hocked it on the street. First, there are no teenagers in my home. Second... I hate to be rude about it, but that's an awful lot of work for a net benefit to me of what would likely be a few hundred, if that much. Seriously, I doubt I could get the cost of my deductible out of this thing on the street!

I pass that investigation with no problem, and this morning I took the Sexy Minivan to the dealer. They look at what needs to be done, and say "Wait... let's check and make sure we have that part in stock." I say that they should, since I called in the repair a few days ago and the person with whom I spoke said they would have it ready for a Friday install. Oh, he says.... they didn't place the order. Seems the guy I spoke to forgot to finish the order in their system.

So now, I have yet another weekend without my DVD player. Granted, I have a husband this weekend, and we're not traveling, so it's not like I *need* the thing. But, at this rate, I've got three weeks invested in getting the thing fixed. And untold numbers of visits to the dealer and service center and beyond.

What a pain in the ass. I swear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home