Saturday, January 21, 2006

Killin' Time

Old Clint Black song lyric - This killin' time is killin' me. These days, I feel some of what it's about. The song (given it's a country song) is about killin' tmie trying to get over a bad relationship. However, as each day passes and I become more certain of our decision to move away, I start feeling like that's what I'm doing now. Our time in Tampa is, for all intents and purposes, over. We won't be a part of this community come next Hurricane season. But we're still kinda stuck here until a few more pieces fall into place. Pieces over which we have zero control.

We've made as many of our decisions as we can. We have a Plan. Or well, three plans, all of which are pretty much the same. I may have even found a buyer for our house. Holy cow!

So what's the hold-up? Why do I feel like I'm killin' time? Well - each of the three plans involves a move back to Georgia. In Plan A (the most likely scenario), we move to Atlanta and buy a house East of town. In Dekalb county. I'll find a job in Atlanta, and continue working for Da Man to get health insurance and money to pay for our house. In plan two, Rob gets into UGA, and I actually find a job worth having in Athens. We can buy a new (as in built in 2006, to some of our specs on the finishing touches) home in Oconee county. In plan three, Rob doesn't get into UGA or Emory, BUT I find a job in Macon worth having. Again, we can buy a new home in a neighboring county, which will be just fine by me.

But, it would be ridiculous of me to find a job in, say, Macon today, when Rob can likely get in at Athens. And it would be foolish of me to bank on him getting in at Athens, and find a job up there. At the end of the day, he could always commute from either location (in under 90 minutes) to a home in Dekalb county. BUT, it would be *so* *much* *cheaper* for us to live together in the three year stint.

So I wait. On AdComms for two schools. And I wait, wait, wait, wait. And so I'm killin' time until I finally can move on with it all.

And you know what - much like in Mr. Black's song, Killin' Time is one heluva depressing place to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home