Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Another day, another dollar, right?

I hate Mondays. It means I have to send Miss Baby off to daycare instead of playing with her all day. It means that Mr. DMD begins his week of meetings every night. And it means I have to go to work.
But yesterday. Yesterday took the cake. I have long sworn that Tampa is the home to the wrost traffic known on this planet. Yes, folks, I know whereof I speak, as I've spent time in Atlanta, Dallas and Washington, driving about in rush hours. Tampa takes the cake. It's not that we have these massive commutes - they're just inordinately LONG for the length of the travel. On top of that, Florida drivers are the absolute worst out there especially in terms of "road manners". Between the "snowbirds" and retirees, and then the horribly rude people (not necessarily Yankees, I've learned).... Anyway, on top of that, Tampa and Hillsborough County also seem to be oblivious to synchronizing traffic lights (outside downtown Tampa). Another annoyance most days.
Yesterday (yeah, back to that) was awful. To begin with, my boss decided to have a little "coaching session" (love those) at 4:00 that afternoon. Said she only needed half an hour, which is fine. That meant I could still be out around 4:30 and well on my way to get Miss Baby. Well, a fire alarm and LOONG discussion later, I'm out the door at 5:40. This is VERY late, and I've got 50 minutes to cover the 9 miles between my office and the Baby School. Shouldn't be a problem right? I need to average under 15 mph to get there in time.
HAHA, fool! Them Traffic Gods do smite, I tell ya. I get up the big road I travel (Dale Mabry - you can't get anywhere in Tampa without hitting Dale Mabry it seems!), then I get off at a smaller road. I am now committed to this road and I stop. It's about 6:10 now, and I'm less than two miles from the Baby School. And I wait. At 6:25, it occurs to me that I've moved approximately two car lengths in the last 15 minutes, and I'm not going ANYWHERE anytime soon.
I call the Baby School, frantic! Fortunately, one of the caregivers offered to take Miss Baby to her home (not far from me). Thank goodness they have spare car seats. At 7:15, I finally get to her sitter's home to pick her up. By this point, I'm 45 minutes late for my meeting that was supposed to begin at 6:30. Miss Baby is now over an hour past her dinnertime. We finally get home at 7:30 (and by this point Miss Baby is SCREAMING). She won't eat her food, she's so hungry, so we go straight for the bottle.
At any rate, all of this adds up to the fact that I will not be leaving this officeplace later than 5:15 any more. I am not going to be deprived of my time with my Miss Baby any more. Especially not for a "coaching session". Ugh!
And Mr. DMD? He was at the local Democrats meeting last night. And I thought *I* had a frustrating evening....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home